Encouraging Development, Growth & Expansion
The EDGE Grant program gives qualified small businesses in Delaware an edge by offering access to significant capital like never before.
Applications for the current round of EDGE Grants are due by 11:59 PM on February 28, 2020.
Follow the Division of Small Business on Facebook and Twitter for additional updates.
Haga clic aquí para obtener información sobre las subvenciones EDGE en español.
CONGRATULATIONS TO THE EDGE AWARDEES!
The Division of Small Business awards EDGE Grants through a competitive selection process. STEM-based companies can receive up to $100,000 for eligible expenses. Entrepreneur Class (non-STEM) businesses can get up to $50,000. The funds are provided as a $3 (state) to $1 (business) match. And the Division can provide up to 10 grants per application round (5 STEM/5 Entrepreneur).
Who Is Eligible*
Qualified applications must:
- Have been in operation less than 5 years
- Employ 10 people or fewer
- Be majority located in Delaware
- Have not received a previous Strat Fund grant
Applications will be judged by a panel of experts on:
- Business need case
- Competitive advantage gained
- Business viability and likelihood of permanence
- MWVBE status of business owner
- Business location (DDD and/or Opportunity Zone)
- Job creation/revenue growth
Grant funding must be used to expand a business’s viability and sustainability, specifically:
- Market analysis assistance
- Advertising assistance
- Building infrastructure/cosmetic enhancements
- Essential equipment
- Web site design
- Rent assistance for lab space
*Other conditions and qualifications may apply
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can a company apply if it is not based in Delaware?
- A non-Delaware company may apply on the condition that it would relocate at least 51% of its business (employees and real property) to Delaware if awarded a grant. That relocation would need to take place before any funds would be disbursed.
- What grants, if previously received, disqualify a company from receiving an EDGE Grant?
- A company is not eligible for an EDGE Grant if it has received any money through the Delaware Strategic Fund. This includes money from DTIP (SBIR/STTR). In very rare circumstances, a business may be eligible for an EDGE Grant if the project involved is significantly different from the one that received previous funds. Contact a Regional Business Manager to talk about your specific situation.
- What level of confidentiality is provided to applications?
- In accordance with state Freedom of Information Act policy, applicants may request confidentiality on items whose disclosure they feel would likely cause them competitive harm or endanger a trade secret.
- Can a 501(c)(3) apply?
- The grants are primarily intended to assist people building private, for-profit companies. That said, there may be a special circumstance in which a 501(c)(3) would be eligible. Contact one of the Division’s Regional Business Managers to discuss your organization’s eligibility before applying.
- Can I apply for a grant if I have not yet formed my business?
- Yes, you would apply as a sole proprietorship.
- What can count as part of the grantee’s match?
- Cash, equipment or any non-state/local-government grants may be included as part of the match provided they are sufficiently tied to the project for which the company is seeking EDGE funding.
- Are there any formatting guidelines for the proposal?
- Refer to the Tips Sheet for font type and page limit, etc.
- For the purpose of eligibility, how are part-time employees counted toward the limit of 10 employees?
- Part-time employees count as ½ employees for the purposes of the limit. Full-time employees count as 1. Any employee working fewer than 10 hours per week or fewer than four months per year does not count toward the employee limit.
- What is the timeline for the approval process?
- Finalist are announced approximately six to eight weeks after an application round closes with the grantees chosen in the following weeks.
Para preguntas o asistencia con su solicitud, envíe un correo electrónico a email@example.com o llame al (302)284-0365.
Aprenda sobre EDGE